Minnesota Prairieview Winter



Snow reminds me of a lot of things. I like to describe it as a fresh coat of paint. When it falls in large flakes it is a beauty my Filipino friends haven't had the joy of partaking in. When I was younger I would enjoy building snow tunnels in the snow piles my father had formed from clearing the snow in the yard with the tractor. I also enjoyed snowboarding down the hills when I was a teenager.

My mom took photos of the pheasants playing in her front yard. Many wildlife enjoy the farm my family has developed. My father does a honeybee habitat for the University of Minnesota that is adjacent to the family home. This seems to have brought pheasants in for a daily view. My assumption is they eat the seeds from the variety of flowers planted on the 10 acre honeybee habitat.

One thing snow reminds me of is to be thankful for family who help each other during the harshest of conditions. My younger brother shoveled my sidewalks for me when I was ill and my father also moved snow for me at my office location.

Today I was lucky to spend some time with my mother making peanut butter cookies and some chocolate chip cookies. Both batches turned out good as my mom is skilled in baking unlike me.

The beauty of the outdoors is something I have enjoyed more as I have aged each day. Seeing wildlife survive and seem to thrive in subzero temperature still amazes me. And to see the flower genetics survive the winter months to make it through to the next year is a miracle in itself. God has a way of making miracles seem so natural that our human reason has difficulty comprehending all that goes on in nature.

I am thankful my health has been restored and I am home enjoying the views of nature.

By: Glen Kotten

Comments

  1. I did not look at the author's name and wondered when Pastor Palangyos had a farm in Minnesota. I enjoyed the article, Glen, which reminds me of the ways we encourage beneficial insects in our yard. God's Creation is a constant reminder of how many ways creatures, plants, and microbes influence each other. "John 1:3 All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made." God's blessings to you, Glen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment